Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Jambalaya

The weather is acting crazy here in Phoenix .... one minute it's bright and sunny ... and the next, rain clouds or dust storms are moving in. They don't seem to last long and then it's right back to being bright and sunny. I think it's so cool that you can actually see the storms roll in here. I've never seen anything like it. 

Needless to say, we've gotten some rain here in Phoenix the last few days .... some much needed rain I might add. Where I'm from, you could almost set a clock to the time it would rain. It would be so darned hot and the humidity would get so high - that the rain would be a welcome relief .... until the humidity started to rise again! :) 

Jambalaya

I'm learning that things are different here in the desert .... rain is a big deal. I mean, they cancel school if it rains! (No joke, my oldest son who attends a public school was sent home 2 times in the past 2 weeks for rain .... nothing more than rain). I know some of y'all have to be just as shocked as I was. Things like that don't happen in other parts of the country to my knowledge. If it rains, life still goes on. Kids stay at school. Apparently here, they have huge issues with flooding and I'm guessing that is really the reason school is dismissed early? I'm not really sure. I found out the other day that Phoenix has what they call The Stupid Motorist Law .... I can't even make that up - it's a real law here!

I'm not sure what it is about rainy weather, but it kinda makes me want to eat spicy food. Spicy food that I can have cornbread with. Two particular meals come to mind for me - Chili .... or Jambalaya. MmmmMmmm. This time, Jambalaya won! :) Enjoy, y'all!



Jambalaya
Yield: 6 servings


2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 lb. smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in. cubes
1 tbsp. Cajun seasoning
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (16 oz.) crushed tomatoes
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. Tabasco sauce
1¼ cups uncooked white rice
2½ cups chicken broth


Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the Cajun seasoning over the sausage and chicken. Cook the sausage until browned. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the chicken to the same pan and cook until slightly browned on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Add the onion, bell pepper and celery to the same pan and cook for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper flakes, pepper and Tabasco sauce. Add the sausage, chicken and the rice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.


LBGC other posts you may enjoy

One-Pot Chicken and Sausage Pastalaya
One Pot Chicken and Sausage Pastalaya

Southern Cornbread
Southern Cornbread

I hope you enjoy! Shared at thesefun parties!

Featured at The NY Melrose Family


Don't forget to share and comment ♥
Copyright © Love Bakes Good Cakes 2012-2013 All Rights Reserved

FacebookTwitterPinterestGoogle+BlogLovin'InstagramRSSImage Map


 Foodie Friends Friday SponsoredTweets referral badge

No comments:

Post a Comment