Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Spanish Tilapia

The truth is, we don't eat a lot of fish or seafood at our house. Brian isn't particularly fond of it ... and I didn't eat much of it growing up - so my knowledge of how to cook or prepare it is severely lacking compared to other things. However, this Spanish Tilapia, is one of the few fish dishes I adapted from a version my mom makes! 

Spanish Tilapia

The extent of my fish or seafood experience growing up amounted to frozen fish sticks or clams, salmon patties and tuna sandwiches. No joke. I remember us having shark steak once ..... and something with shrimp maybe a handful of times? As a kid, I actually had it in my mind that "I didn't like that kind of stuff" because, well, I never really had it.

As an adult, I am more adventurous in my eating (have I ever told y'all the story of my friend Ty and I at the Chinese restaurant?! Bahahaha!! If not, I'll have to enlighten you to my shenanigans! Be forewarned, you may never want to be seen dining with me in public!) - and I have tried several fish and/or seafood dishes that I have enjoyed. Almost all of those experiences have been at restaurants - because I have no clue what I'm doing with those dishes. I'm learning, though! :)

This Spanish Tilapia is super easy and budget-friendly. I serve it with Saffron Rice and usually some sort of green veggie.



Spanish Tilapia
Printable recipe
Yield: 4 servings

1 lb. tilapia fillets
Salt & pepper, to taste
A swirl of olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (14.5 oz.) Italian-style diced tomatoes
¼ cup slice black olives
¼ cup sliced green olives
½ lemon, sliced
Cooked rice or pasta, for serving (optional)

Season the tilapia with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion softens, about 4-5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, black and green olives and lemon. Bring just to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Add the fish to the skillet and cook for 7-9 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Discard the lemon slices. Serve with rice or pasta.

Spanish Tilapia 2

LBGC other posts you may enjoy

Orange and Broccoli Shrimp
Orange and Broccoli Shrimp with Rice

Classic Fried Fish
Classic Fried Fish

I hope you enjoy! Shared at thesefun parties!


Don't forget to share and comment ♥
Copyright © Love Bakes Good Cakes 2012-2013 All Rights Reserved

FacebookTwitterPinterestGoogle+BlogLovin'InstagramRSSImage Map


 Foodie Friends Friday SponsoredTweets referral badge

No comments:

Post a Comment